RAWLINS – What authorities are ruling as accidental, a fire totally consumed a mobile home on early Saturday afternoon in the 1400 block of E. Murray St. in Rawlins.
According to Rawlins Fire Chief John Rutherford, the call came in at 12:50 p.m. Upon arrival, the one occupant was safely secured before the structure flashed over.
“The occupant was lucky to be able to egress the home,” Rutherford told the Rawlins Times on Monday. “She lost everything.”
Assisted by the Carbon County Fire Department, the fire wouldn’t be officially controlled until 4 p.m. on Saturday.
Although there were no fire service injuries, the occupant suffered minor burns to the face and hands but refused medical service, according to a Monday fire report. With a total loss, $35,000 in total damages was reported.
As first responders showed up, the structure was already visibly on fire.
“Upon arrival, the structure had heavy fire and smoke showing,” the fire report states. “Engine 3 laid in a water supply line from a fire hydrant on Murray Street.
Information from dispatch advised that all occupants were out of the structure.”
According to Black Hills Energy, the structure’s natural gas feed was turned off prior to combustion.
“Neighboring homes were evacuated by law enforcement,” the fire report continues. “Fire crews initially did an exterior attack through doors and windows. The structure had a heavy fire load and was difficult to extinguish.”
“It took several hours to control the fire due to access issues and the large fire load inside the structure,” the report further states. “When it was safe to enter the structure, firefighters overhauled the hotspots still burning in the structure.”
So far, Rutherford said the fire was possibly caused by misuse of a flammable product.